Monday, September 13, 2010

Need to Vent

I need to vent about food issues right now. Being gluten intolerant/sensitive/allergic is a huge thorn in the side. Are we lucky that we can control our "issue" without medications...sure...but it also means that we have to know EVERY SINGLE ingredient that we put into our mouths. Just when you think you have it down & relax just a wee bit it comes back to bite you in the gut. You heard that right...not the butt...the gut! I get so tired of having digestion issues!!! Not only do you have to be on super high alert as an adult but when you have a child with the same condition you have to be even more careful and teach them what they can and cannot have. You try your hardest to teach your spouse (who thinks you are a bit off your rocker about the whole sitch), family members and friends. I have had people from my husband to my family and friends try to feed me, unknowingly, the wrong thing.

So, the reason for my vent is that my husband fed my son something today that he wasn't supposed to have. My son even told him that, "Mom says I can't have this." What does he do? He says, "I read the ingredients and they are fine!" The product in question happens to be a pre-made Kellog's Rice Krispies Treat. In their Rice Krispies they use malt flavoring which is a no-no for us wheat intolerant folk. I know this from my research. My husband knows a lot but not as much about the little ingredients that I do. What makes me the most upset is that my son told him and he shot him down about it. That puts my son in a bad position. Not only this but my husband is also upset at me for questioning him?!?!?! Really?? I told him point blank that he has tried to feed me things that I am not supposed to have. What about this does he not understand? I think his biggest problem is that underneath it all he thinks that this whole gluten intolerance/allergy is in my head. I have had the blood test that came back negative. I just had the scope and don't yet have my results. I am having allergy testing done in October. Even if all of these came back negative I know that gluten does VERY bad things to my body. I will never eat it again! Why do I need a medical test to tell me what I know? Why can't my husband just trust my judgment?

No comments:

Post a Comment